Moss Landing Whale Watching Safari
At the heart of Monterey Bay for the feeding season extravaganza
- Person Ages 8 and up
Whale Watching Monterey
Whale Watching Safaris from Moss Landing, 30 min. north of Monterey, for Spring-Summer-Fall humpbacks, blue whales, and oceanic dolphins.
A Fast Raft Whale Watching Safari is an exhilarating way to explore the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Your knowledgeable naturalist and captain will not only get you the best sightings and photographic angles, we’ll teach you about the lives of the marvelous animals that call our ocean home — and how you can help them.
Spring-Summer-Fall feeding season species:
- Humpback whales
- Blue whales
- Killer whales (year-round, esp. April and May)
- 6 species of resident dolphins (bottlenose, white-sided, Risso’s, long-beaked and short beaked commons, and Northern right-whale dolphins)
- Harbor porpoises and Dall’s porpoises (year-round)
- Sea otters, harbor seals, and California sea lions (year-round)
- Seabirds like albatrosses, shearwaters, auklets
What makes us so unique and different from other boats is our vessel. Our Ranger provides a low-to-the-water, open platform that is ideal for wildlife viewing and photography. We can easily travel faster than other boats, allowing us to reach spectacular destinations and wildlife in a shorter time, though we are careful to moderate our speed in respect for the wildlife. Once we stop to enjoy a sighting, our engines are nearly silent at idle, and we often turn them off to soak in the natural sounds.
What to Bring
- All your warm clothes
- Sunscreen, warm hat, sunglasses
- We provide waterproof jackets and pants
- Water and small snacks if desired (we offer drinking water in cups; we do not sell single-use plastic bottles)
- Camera (we provide drybags for DSLR with up to 400mm/f4 lens)
- On board storage is limited to small purse/backpack
- Large camera bags are welcome but may be exposed to salt spray
What Not To Bring:
- Sharp heels
- Muddy/sandy shoes
- Delicate leather (salt spray is bad for leather)
- Take-out meals
What’s Not Included:
- Food and drinks are not included. Feel free to bring your own.
- Gratuities are always appreciated for a job well done.
- Moss Landing Public Boat Ramp (north harbor) (Moss Landing, CA)
(Complete driving directions are included in ticket confirmation email, and are on our website here.)
- Most people do much better on the Fast Raft than on larger boats. If you know you’re sensitive, please take medication in advance, starting the night before. For more tips visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.